History of Indian Head Farm
Indian Head Farm began two centuries ago. The farmhouse was constructed in 1782. Seven generations of the Wheeler-Hastings family have farmed here. In the early 1800’s, the farm produced hops. Berlin was part of a large hop-growing region that stretched east toward Boston.
Mixed farming supported the farm through Civil War years.
During the end of the 19th century and the first third of the 20th, asparagus and grapes were raised for shipment to the Boston Market via train.
The 1940’s and 50’s were devoted to dairy farming, and the 60’s were hay producing years to supply local farmers and horse enthusiasts.
Indian Head Farm turned to small fruit and mixed vegetable production in the mid 70’s, with the addition of flowers and the production of jams, pickles, and relishes in the 80’s, as it once again responded to the needs of New England consumers.